PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy a Canon300D or a Nikon70D

Stingray
12-30-2004, 4:10 PM
I really don't know what are the pros and cons. When I visit the different reviews I can't decide which one to take.
Advice please. I now have a Ixus40 and want to expend to an SLR will mainly be used in aquatic photography.
Regards
Frank

JerseyJay
12-30-2004, 4:30 PM
Frank,

Here is my very honest opinion. I know that some will disagree, especially those who have Canon Rebels on this website but when it comes to $1000 everyone should say what they think or know about both cameras.

I hear the same question all over the internet and I shake my head every time I see it . The only thing that its close between those two cameras is the price, that's it.

Professional reviewers compare Nikon D70 to Canon 10D or Canon 20D, not 300Rebel. Nikon D70 is a camera of its own and is in "separate" class. Nikon D70 is "upgraded" version of Nikon D100. If you don't look into close specs, the only thing that its different between two is lack of grip in D70.

I can list a lot of things that are better in Nikon D70 vs. Nikon D100 but you can check more in-depth reviews. Commander Mode is one those very useful options which comes with D70 but is not available in D100. Commander Mode (in camera) and Remote Mode (in external flash) is a dream of any aquatic photographer. Did you ever took pictures with external flash, did you ever use off-shoe cable?. If you did, you will know that pictures with external flash come out a lot better and with flash mounted on off-shoe cable, even better. Downside of off-shoe cable is the length of actual cable which can limit your camera movement. Now think of camera and flash working together without the cable and in separation - perfection.

I can go into actual looks of the canon rebel vs. nikon d70, the material they are both made of, the performance etc etc. but at the end the choice is yours.

I like Canon cameras but Rebel is not for me. I didn't want to get Nikon D100 b/c of Commander Mode and 2x series are way too expensive for me.

I already see Rebel owners wishing they went with Canon 20D.

Stingray
12-31-2004, 2:54 AM
Thanks for your reply. The body of the D 70 is it also made of plastic?? I also heard that the kid lense of the d70 is a much better quality then the one on the 300D.
Regards
Frank

hir0
12-31-2004, 5:15 AM
the d70 is a polycarbonate as well as the canon 300d.
http://www.3d-cam.com/materials/polycarbonate.asp
"Unnotched polycarbonate is virtually unbreakable, making it extremely safe in areas where parts may be exposed to impact. When exposed to repeated heavy blow, the material tends to cold form rather than shatter."
i've read a discussion about the durability of the d70 and one guy dropped his from 5 ft onto concrete with no ill effects. however, i would not advise anyone to try it. you could easily knock your reflex mirror out of alignment or crack a lens etc....

i won't bash the 300d because it is a proven performer, and the photos that come from them speak a thousand words. i am the proud owner of a d70, and can tell you from personal experience - it is an outstanding camera. you can flip the on switch and be instantly ready to shoot continuous @ 3fps. there is virtually no shutter lag. the battery life is amazing - i bought mine, charged the battery, and didn't need to recharge for a whole week. just about everything on the camera is adjustable with the control wheels, as there is a "hot" button for just about everything. i've heard people say it was much easier to change configurations etc. than canon's 300d. the kit lens is awesome -- canon's kit lens is not too good from what i hear. you can pick up a remote shutter release for $20 - no need for a cable release. commander mode is amazing with speedlights. the list goes on and on with the d70. it is definitely a lot of camera for the price - the choice is ultimately yours. my recommendation is in favor of the nikon d70.
http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=1156&page_number=1

Andreas Werth
12-31-2004, 6:12 AM
>canon's kit lens is not too good from what i hear

I use the same kit lens on my 20D - it is a cheap one (you have to pay only 100 Euro in addition for the kit compared to the price of the body) - but so far im lucky with it.
In my opinion it is better than the 28-80 3.5-5.6 Zoom i used on my Canon EOS 300/EOS 10D.

meriadoc
12-31-2004, 4:59 PM
actually, i know alot of photographers (published, wedding and portrait) that use the kit lens with success.

go play with one. you're the only one that can decide what you want. but just don't compare the D70 and the rebel together. Compare the 10D/20D to the D70 as they're a closer match (more to the 10D)

loupgarou
01-14-2005, 12:23 AM
actually, i know alot of photographers (published, wedding and portrait) that use the kit lens with success.

go play with one. you're the only one that can decide what you want. but just don't compare the D70 and the rebel together. Compare the 10D/20D to the D70 as they're a closer match (more to the 10D)

as a 20D owner now and once 300D owner.

examine both systems.

nikon advantages from my point of view
D70 = quiet, fast, IR sensitive
flash system allegedly good (heheh)

Nikon disadvantages from my point of view
Nikon lenses are generally expensive than canon lenses (but you can buy sigma...)
Nikon slower to release new tech (so if you plan to frequently upgrade bodies, you may find there is no NEW model to replace your aging one or damaged current body).
freaking CCD dust and cleaning..

the 300D is slower in operation (like image preview), but in terms of picture quality and iso 100 is great.
lenses collection from canon is massive, with the EFS 10-22 you get a viable rectilinear 16mm on FF equivalent, you've got a clear upgrade path also if you want to venture further.

---
imho, you cannot go wrong with either systems. my opinion, if you're going to stick to one camera body for the next 4 years or so, get the D70.

hir0
01-14-2005, 2:32 AM
Nikon lenses are generally expensive than canon lenses (but you can buy sigma...)
so true. canon, IMO is better in this regard, not to mention they have a lot of lenses that incorporate USM as opposed to nikon and af-s. if you have a nikkor and it is af-s it usually equals bucks. but then you get what you pay for. i would consider lens availability a strong deciding factor in choosing a system.

Nikon slower to release new tech (so if you plan to frequently upgrade bodies, you may find there is no NEW model to replace your aging one or damaged current body).
true also, but if you're buying bodies all the time, you're probably either:
1: making money from photography
2: not happy with what you have (many digital rebel owners fall into this bracket)
3: got serious money to burn, and should purchase me some nikon glass :)

if you're going to stick to one camera body for the next 4 years or so, get the D70.
i would be willing to put money down that nikon will have several bodies released in the next 4 years.

meriadoc
01-14-2005, 3:54 PM
my only comment would be to say that investigate lenses as well - when you buy into a slr, you're also buying into a lens system.

(has learnt to stay well away from the d70/300d debate crap anymore - i deal with it at work waay too much)